UNESCO-TWAS is committed to protecting personal data in line with its Principles on Personal Data Protection and Privacy.
This Privacy Notice explains how UNESCO-TWAS uses the personal data we collect from you when you use twas.org.
- What data do we collect?
- How do we collect your data?
- How will we use your data?
- How do we store your data?
- What are cookies?
- What types of cookies do we use?
- How to manage your cookies
- Links to other websites
- Changes to our Privacy Notice
- How to contact us
- TWAS Online Forms
What data do we collect?
UNESCO-TWAS collects the following data:
- Personal identification data you directly provide: Name, email address, phone number, postal address, function/position, organization, country of residence and other relevant information depending on the context.
- Personal identification data provided by TWAS Fellows and Young Affiliates only: Nationality, country of residence, address, gender, date of birth, place of birth, photo, photo credits, position, affiliation, phone, URL of personal website or social media handles, keywords, biodata, involvement with SDGs, CV and list of publications.
- Data generated by your activity: Log information such as Internet protocol (IP) address, navigation behaviour through the website, device and software used, the time/date/duration of your visit, and other similar information and parameters related to your operating system and computer environment.
How do we collect your data?
We collect data and process data when you:
- Register for events, subscribe to newsletters or make a donation.
- Voluntarily complete a survey or provide feedback on any of our message boards or via email.
- Use or view our website via your browser's cookies.
How will we use your data?
UNESCO-TWAS collects your data for:
- Providing the services or information you have requested, including processing the registration and managing the account of TWAS Members and Young Affiliates.
- Email you with information on other events and services we think you might like.
- Statistical purposes and website traffic analysis.
- Being delivered more relevant ads and marketing on third party websites and applications
In some circumstances we make part of your data available outside UNESCO-TWAS, such as for:
- Analytics: We use third-party services Google Analytics, USA
- Email communications: We use third party services Sendinblue, France
- Advertising and marketing: We use third party services Meta Platforms, USA
- Payment processing: We use a third-party services PayPal, USA
When UNESCO-TWAS processes your donation, it may send your data to, and also use the resulting information from, credit reference agencies to prevent fraudulent purchases.
How do we store your data?
UNESCO-TWAS securely stores your data at our data centers in Europe. Your data will not be published for general access, unless you are a TWAS Fellow, or a current or former TWAS Young Affiliate, nor disclosed or sold to third parties. UNESCO-TWAS, however, assumes no responsibility for the security of this information.
We keep personal data for as long as necessary for the purposes described in this privacy notice, in accordance with our applicable records retention and disposition schedules.
What are cookies?
Cookies are text files placed on your computer to collect standard Internet log information and visitor behavior information. When you visit our websites, we may collect information from you automatically through cookies or similar technology. For further information, visit allaboutcookies.org.
- Keeping you signed in
- Understanding how you use our website
What types of cookies do we use?
There are a number of different types of cookies, however, our website uses:
- Functionality – UNESCO-TWAS uses these cookies so that we recognize you on our website and remember your previously selected preferences. These could include what language you prefer and location you are in. A mix of first-party and third-party cookies are used.
- Advertising – The Meta Pixel is a piece of code that allows us to understand the actions that people take on our website. Tracked actions can be used to measure the effectiveness of our advertising and define custom audiences for ad targeting.
UNESCO-TWAS website uses the following cookies:
|TWAS Plus pop-up||nl-popup||.twas.org||1 year|
|Cookie banner||cookie-agreed||.twas.org||180 days|
|Cookie banner||cookie-agreed-version||.twas.org||180 days|
|Cookie banner||cookie-agreed-version||.twas.org||180 days|
|Cookie banner||cookie-agreed-categories||.twas.org||180 days|
|Paypal||SEGM, TLTSID, x-pp-s||.paypal.com||Session|
|Paypal||ts, ts_c, ddi||.paypal.com||13 months|
|Google Analytics||_ga||.twas.org||3 days|
|Google Analytics||_gat_gtag||.twas.org||1 min|
|Google Analytics||_gid||.twas.org||1 day|
|Google Analytics||__utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmt, __utmz||.twas.org||Persistent|
How to manage cookies
You can set your browser not to accept cookies, and the above website tells you how to remove cookies from your browser. However, in a few cases, some of our website features may not function as a result.
Links to other websites
Our website contains links to other websites. Our Privacy Notice applies only to our website. For example, we link to our accounts on a number of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube. We are not responsible for the privacy policies or content on third-party websites and encourage you to read the privacy notices of other websites you visit.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
We will revise or update this Notice if our practices change, or as we develop better ways to keep you informed about them. Please refer back to this page often for the latest information and the effective date of any changes. If we decide to change this Notice, we will post a new Notice on our website and change the date at the bottom. Changes to the Notice shall not apply retroactively.
How to contact us
You may request access to your personal data in order to verify its accuracy and may request correction. To do so in connection with your use of this website please contact email@example.com..
For any other questions regarding the processing of your personal data, contact the Data Protection and Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TWAS Online Forms
The Privacy Notice of the TWAS Online Forms system, that explains how UNESCO-TWAS uses the personal data we collect from you when you use https://onlineforms.twas.org is available here.
Updates to this Privacy Notice